Thursday, September 24, 2009

GC, part two

OK--today's digest (from Sat. PM):

Elder M. Russell Ballard--"With all my heart I hope and pray that you will be wise enough to learn the lessons of the past. You don’t have to spend time as a Laman or a Lemuel in order to know that it’s much better to be a Nephi or a Jacob... Learning the lessons of the past allows you to walk boldly in the light without running the risk of stumbling in the darkness. This is the way it’s supposed to work. This is God’s plan: father and mother, grandfather and grandmother teaching their children; children learning from them and then becoming a more righteous generation through their own personal experiences and opportunities. Learning the lessons of the past allows you to build personal testimony on a solid bedrock of obedience, faith, and the witness of the Spirit." I love this. I don't want to be on "destruction" part of the BofM cycle (after prosperity, pride and wickedness), that is FOR SURE. I want to learn from the past so I don't have to re-live it. I often do, as I make the same mistakes over and over, but there is always change!

Elder Quentin Cook--salvation is available to ALL! I agree with him that this is such a vital part of the gospel--one that is missing in so many other Christian faiths. This quote really spoke to me: "It is equally important that we be loving and kind to members of our own faith, regardless of their level of commitment or activity. The Savior has made it clear that we are not to judge each other." I really needed to hear that. I've been struggling a little with loving and not judging this week, so I really appreciated this counsel. Elder Cook also talks about spirit paradise, and it really touched me that there Alma says it is "where [the righteous] shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow." To me that just underscores the fact that in this life we will have troubles, care, and sorrow. It is part of the deal. I was just thinking that again I have been feeling like I deserve not to be annoyed by others and so forth, but I don't deserve that at all. If it will help me be more understanding, patient, or compassionate, then I better get annoyed so I can gain those attributes. (just remind me I said this while someone is really bugging me, ok?)

Elder Kevin W. Pearson--this totally caught my attention: "There is no other foundation in life that can bring the same peace, joy, and hope. In uncertain and difficult times, faith is truly a spiritual gift worthy of our utmost efforts. We can give our children education, lessons, athletics, the arts, and material possessions, but if we do not give them faith in Christ, we have given little." Yikes! Another good thought: "Faith and fear cannot coexist. One gives way to the other. The simple fact is we all need to constantly build faith and overcome sources of destructive disbelief." He says later that doubt and discouragement are bad habits--ones that CAN be overcome. I've never thought of it that way. I must choose to build faith and leave doubt behind!

Elder Rafael E. Pino--this talk totally astounded me. His stories of death and loss and the faith that the people showed was amazing! I loved this quote: "Living the gospel does not mean that we will everlastingly escape adversity. Rather, it means that we will be prepared to face and endure adversity more confidently."

There is my round-up for today. I am really enjoying this. I listen as I walk, and I am surprised at how much I can concentrate and get things out of the talks. The Lord is willing to help me learn--no matter how I fit it in!

I love you--hope you are having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment